Tuesday 21 February 2012

New dimensions

After Christmas I needed to have a big think about what else I could sell other than tree decorations. I had had a few friends ask me to make animals for them, and on Boxing Day I went into felting over drive felting for 14 hours solid using these as an excuse to practice making sculptural 3D felts. I had never done this before and when studying art for me Btec and Degree, I was always a massive failure at sculpture, but I was amazed because these felt pieces turned out so well! They were so cute and quirky and just how I pictured them when I began making them.
The first one I made was a pink squid for a friend who likes sea life. A lot of people have asked if I make flat felt, stuff it and stitch it but I don't. The whole thing is felted wool fibres. If you cut them in half down the centre they would be matted felt clumps all the way through.
After making the squid I made a flamingo for myself, which isn't really 3D as I wanted to try turn him into a brooch but he isn't just a flat image, there is definitely depth to him.












But the 3D felt I was most proud of at the time was the fox head I made for Emma at Tall Fox Dot. He's slightly bigger than my fist and has such a cute little face. She was so pleased with him when she received it. It took me three and a half hours of stabbing with my felting needle, and I had a little accident and put the needle right through my finger at one point resulting in a lot of blood and a few queezy feeling people who had witnessed it, but I just soldiered on like a trooper! :oP

No comments:

Post a Comment